General Tso’s Chicken!
I can’t count the number of times I’ve ordered General Tso’s chicken when I didn’t know what I wanted to eat. Buying can be pricey though, so to save money we started making it at home! It’s still convenient and easy to make and we get to save money!
The recipe doesn’t require a lot and has some variations. The way it’s made here is to be quick and use as few dishes as possible.
I know you’re not here to hear more about my love for General Tso’s, so let’s get to the recipe!
Homemade General Tso's Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken Thighs cut into chunks
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Ginger (minced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Tsp Red chili flakes
- Olive oil
- 3 Tbsps Rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsps Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsps Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- Toss chicken chunks in ¼ cornstarch until evenly coated.
- You can let the chicken sit while you mix the sauce, but here I begin frying the cornstarch coated chicken while I prep the sauce (saves time).
- While chicken fry’s, mix sauce ingredients and whisk together thoroughly.
- Continue frying chicken until crispy.
- Once crispy, add in the ginger, garlic, and chili flakes until the you can smell the garlic (30 seconds to a minute depending on heat).
- Add the sauce and stir until the sauce thickens and the chicken has an even coat.
- Serve immediately.
It would be insane to eat General Tso’s without rice! If you’re looking for something easy and simple, just cook up some white rice and call it a day. If you want a little more, some egg fried rice goes great with General Tso’s!